3GPP TSG RAN WG1 - Radio Layer 1
The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) is the primary body for developing technology specifications for cellular networks. It self-organises through its Working Groups coordinated by the Chairs of the Technical Specifications Groups (TSGs).
RAN WG1 (Radio layer 1) is responsible for the development of specifications dealing with Evolved UTRA. Beyond RAN WG1, it is responsible for specification of the physical layer of the Uu radio Interface for UE, Evolved UTRAN, and beyond, covering both FDD and TDD modes, as well as the physical layer of the Un Interface for Relay Nodes.
The work in RAN WG1 includes especially:
- Specification of physical channel structures.
- Specification of the mapping of the transport channels onto physical channels.
- Specification of the physical layer multiplexing, and channel coding and error detection.
- Specification of the spreading and modulation.
- Specification of the physical layer procedures.
- Specification of definition of measurements and their provision by the physical layer to the upper layers.
RAN WG1 also carries out work related to handling of the physical layer related UE capabilities and to physical layer related parameters used in UE tests developed in TSG RAN.
Wanshi Chen, RAN1 Chair, Qualcomm Inc. Member of ATIS. Elected in August 2019.
Younsun Kim, RAN1 Vice-Chair, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Member of TTA. Elected in August 2019.
Havish Koorapaty, RAN1 Vice-Chair, Ericsson LM. Member of ETSI. Elected 2nd term in October 2019.