3GPP TSG RAN WG3 - Iu, Iub, Iur, S1, X2 and UTRAN/E-UTRAN
The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) is the primary body for developing technology specifications for cellular networks. It self-organises through its Working Groups coordinated by the Chairs of the Technical Specifications Groups (TSGs).
RAN WG3 (Iu, Iub, Iur, S1, X2 and UTRAN/E-UTRAN) is responsible for the development of specifications dealing with UTRA, Evolved UTRA, and beyond, and in particular for:
- Overall UTRAN and E-UTRAN architecture.
- Synchronisation in UTRAN and E-UTRAN.
- Stage 2 work of Work Items allocated by TSG RAN to RAN WG3.
- UTRAN and E-UTRAN O&M requirements.
- Iu interface protocol specifications, i.e. access stratum protocols over the Iu reference point.
- Iur and Iub interface protocol specifications.
- Iupc interface protocol specifications.
- Iubc interface protocol specifications.
- Transport of implementation specific O&M between the Management System and Node B.
- Application of the RANAP on the E-interface.
- Iu-ant interface protocol specifications (RF-parts of the layer 1 specification are under the responsibility of RAN4).
- Parts of Iu and Iur protocols common to GERAN and UTRAN (Iu-g and Iur-g).
- S1 and X2 interface protocol specifications.
- M1, M2 and M3 interface protocol specifications.
- Iuh, and Iurh interface protocols specification.
- LTE Positioning Protocol A (LPPa).
- Xw interface protocol specifications.
Gino Masini, RAN3 Chair, Ericsson LM. Member of ETSI. Elected to 2nd term in May 2019.
Yin Gao, RAN3 Vice-Chair, ZTE Corp. Member of CCSA. Elected in August 2019.
Sasha Sirotkin, RAN3 Vice-Chair, Intel. Member of ATIS. Elected to 2nd term in Many 2019.